7 Steps to Declutter Creative Chaos
Let's look at an easy 7 step process to help declutter your creative chaos so you can be ready for your next adventure. Just remember to be patient, especially if it's been a long stretch since you've purged and decluttered. Here's some tips to help you get successfully on your way.
1. Get a feel for it. Imagine how great it's going to feel once you spruce up your space, perhaps even just a closet or drawer. Decide ahead of time how you'll reward yourself for a job well done. Don't be the lone ranger. Enlist help from friends, colleagues or family.
2. Make it a Date. Schedule a day and time when you'll do your decluttering. If you haven't done this in a while, I recommend pre scheduling 3 or 4 dates on your calendar (along with your post celebration activity or treat) for no more than 2 hours each session. If you finish early that means bonus time!
3. Designate. Get 3 large bags or strong boxes. Label them 'recycle', 'throw away' and ' donate'. As you go through an area, place items into the appropriate bag or box. Remove them from the property as soon as possible. You don't want this heavy energy hanging around!
4. Zero In. You'll get so much more done in a shorter period of time if you just focus on clearing space and organizing. Resist cleaning or going down memory lane. Those activities can come later.
5. Itty Bitty Steps. Begin with a small area like clearing out a craft drawer, your medicine cabinet, or a desk top. Remember it's likely taken you months or years to accumulate all your stuff, so be easy on yourself and give it time in small doses of effort.
6. Invite the New. Where you're done, bring something new and inspiring into your space. It might even be an item repurposed from another room, a vase of fresh flowers, a special crystal or a fun mobile.
7. Do the Happy Dance. It's good for the body and soul. Stretch out, clear your mind, and let yourself be creative. Give yourself a pat on the back for opening the channel to clarity, order and happiness. Smile every time you walk into your new surroundings!